Glacier Xtreme is a full on Ice climbing tour and a great option for people who want a more challenging tour then a normal glacier walk.
This trip gives you the opportunity to go further and really explore the glacier by combining glacier hiking with Ice climbing. Not only will you be exploring this extraordinary landscape, you will also have the chance to conquer gravity by climbing some of the glaciers many walls of ice. There is no prior experience necessary, only a sense of adventure.
The Falljökull outlet glacier is one of the most impressive icefalls coming from the Vatnajökull icecap. It is a unique and beautiful environment, both rugged and raw with stunning blue ice and ever changing ice formations. Our step-by-step approach ensures professional instruction in the form and technical aspects of ice climbing.
All necessary glacier gear including Hiking Boots
What do I need to bring?
– Waterproof jacket and pants (We do have rental clothing available)
– Hiking boots (Available for rent, 1000 isk. We advise against runners or any type of shoe that comes up below the ankle bone as the straps on the crampons can get a bit painful during the walk)(Climbing boots are included on the ice climbing tour)
-Light sweater, wool or fleece
– Light synthetic or quick dry pants (Try and stay clear of jeans on the longer trips as they get wet & cold quick and dry slow)
– Thin Gloves
– Small Backpack (Can be handy to carry camera, rain gear and all extras)
– Sunglasses and sun protection (It can get quite bright on the ice with the reflection)
– Food and drinks (Lunch is not provided on any of our trips. June – September there is plenty of fresh water on the glacier so bring a bottle)
– Camera (If you forget everything else don´t forget that)
Minimum age of passengers is: 15
Meeting point: Skaftafell Booking Center (grey house with turf roof), 30 min before tour starts. Skaftafell is located 327km (203 miles) from Reykjavík. The nearest towns to Skaftafell are Kirkjubæjarklaustur, 69km to the west and Höfn, 130km to the east.
Arctic Adventures is an Icelandic adventure and activity travel company which focuses on ecotourism offering exciting experiences all around Iceland.
We want to help you to escape the ordinary, travel with passion and create memories which will last a lifetime. Iceland is a unique country to visit and our aim is to show you why.
We want you to experience the spectacular scenery and the surreal power and energy of our nature, which we Icelanders fall in love with again and again, each and every day. Let’s get together to create some absolutely unforgettable experiences, we want you to feel truly alive and in the zone!
Chris BGlacier Xtreme
We did the glacier xtreme tour. The location is beautiful and we were lucky to have a warm sunny day. The company does a great job of organizing and gearing up the participants at their headquarters, and then drives the various groups out the the glacier in a cool tour bus. Our group size was limited to five people, but ended up being only four. The guide did a great job explaining the plan for the day, and then teaching us how to ice climb. The pace was perfect, and I felt very comfortable with the guides skills and attention to our safety.
We did three climbs each which was enough for us, and had time to explore other aspects of the glacier. One of the climbs was actually down into a crevasse…it was an odd feeling. Maybe this is normal, but for us was unexpected and very cool.
This is not cheap, but was well worth the money for the experiance.